Friday, January 16, 2015

It's weird to me...

I went shopping today, and I realised how weird some things have become for me.

Not bad weird, good weird.

And not the fun sort of shopping, grocery shopping - which I don't usually mind, but today was pay day for everyone with a pulse, and they were all at the shops.

Okay, there was a little bit of the fun sort thrown in.
Salmon & Avocado Stack

aaaand I may have treated myself to a late breakfast at Coffee Club - loving the Salmon & Avo Stack! At around 370cal it's a bit on the high side of the calorie count, but most of that is in the avocado, so I guess it's a trade off - calories for healthy fats.

It's also possible that I may have had my nails done using the weirdest ever method to do a French Polish...

I digress.

I realised while I was walking around BigW, after grabbing a couple of pieces from MB's new additions to the OneActive range, just how much things have changed for me in the last couple of years, and how weird some of those things still are to me.



This is how it used to go:
I'd enter the store and make a beeline for the Fat Girl Clothes, grumble because nothing but the size 26 crappy tracky daks and even crappier poly cotton t-shirts would fit and they only fit because they stretched so much, before checking out the book department, then the DVD's, soft furnishings, manchester, home decor, chocolates & snacks.  Every time.  Without fail.

This is how it goes now:
I enter the store and make a beeline for the Fit Girl Clothes, duck around the back of the display to grab more new undies the current bane of my life, go straight past the Fat Girl Clothes to the books, find BM (hubby) in the DVD section, and hustle him out of the store.

The weird part to me is that this former fashionista  and by former I mean in a life before fat who last purchased workout gear when Olivia Newton-John was burning up the charts with 'Lets Get Physical'!  beelines for the workout gear!  I love to look at and buy things to get sweaty in...  things in which I will look my worst, but feel my best...  Who'd have thunk it?!

What else is weird to me?

It's weird to me that my tastes, not only in clothes, have changed so much that my supermarket trolley now looks less like the poster child for a Woolies catalogue, and more like one for the local farmers market!

It's weird to me that when I eat out, I try to choose a meal that will be fresh, colourful, and healthy, because a lot of the stuff I used to eat was so beige... have you noticed that the worse a food is for you the more beige it seems to be??


Why would you want to eat this...

Varying shades of BEIGE, and it's probably been sitting there for hours...



When you could have this...

Bountiful colour and textures - and it's FRESH!


I admit to struggling when out for coffee.  I don't always have a cake or 'treat' with it, isn't that a stupid word, my body doesn't think its a treat anymore  but when I do I usually find myself wishing I hadn't.  It's not that they don't taste good, because mostly they have no taste, but they just don't sit well with me any more.


It's weird to me that I like to sweat now.  I've always loathed sweating.  With a passion.  Now I'm like 'Meh. I'll just have a shower'.  It's how I know that I've worked hard.  I like knowing that I've earned it, instead of busting out a sweat in response to walking the 15 metres to the letterbox.

It's weird to me that requests for gift cards to stores like Rebel Sports and Athlete's Foot are on my Birthday, Mother's Day and Christmas wish lists, along with things like Fitbits, and HRM's, and gym equipment.

It's weird to me that on the rare occasion that I buy a magazine, not counting Handyman or home decor ones, they tend to be more health & fitness related instead of things like the Women's Weekly...





It's weird to me that our brains don't actually make this journey with us...


1 comment:

  1. I'm so freaking proud of you Annie, the mindset lessons have stuck and you have completely turned your life around. I love it. And I'm hearing you on changes. My brother always gives me a gift voucher for Christmas and he asked me if I'd like a Westfield one again. I suggested how about a Rebel one last year and he said REALLY? Yes really! OMG it was fantastic, particularly as they had a sale on too. Bonus.

    As for the food, honestly look at that second lot of photos, how colourful it looks, that in itself is exciting. I must admit living in a little town with no fish & chip shop any more kind of has its advantages. Sadly the shop burnt down, but it was never replaced. So those Friday night dinners are no more and haven't been for years.

    ReplyDelete