Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ready, Set aaand...

Face-plant - demonstrating a more Freestyle Technique

FACE PLANT!

In an effort to prepare for the fun-run-marathon-winery-wander-torture-walk that I have put myself in for, I went for a walk on Tuesday morning.

There I was, up and out of bed at the crack of Morning Tea, (dragged DD out of bed, and made her come with me) and out the door all excited and firing on more cylinders than I knew I had and off for the walk, when the next the next thing I know, I'm laying in the gutter at the front of my house having a little rest, with DD's small white dog, Zippa, standing guard!

My preferred technique - Stiff As A Board

I knew exercise takes it out of you, but really!?

As I stepped off the kerb onto the road, it appears that I forgot to actually 'step'...

My pinky - is worse than it looks...
My knee - looks worse than it is...
Either that, or my shoes are now so big that I need a new pair, a pair that actually fit and don't let my foot float around inside them, whilst randomly catching themselves on gutters and footpaths.

I was wearing a pair of MB One Active full length pants at the time, and given the appearance of my knee, you'd be forgiven for thinking they must be currently sporting a massive hole in the knee right about now.  But there isn't a single stitch out of place!  You could have knocked me down with a feather when I realised!

No really, a feather would have done it... apparently it doesn't take a lot to get me on the ground.

So anyway, after I sent DD back inside to get BM - did I tell you this was in front of my house? I can't even get out of my own yard in safety, how am I gonna do 5km??  the two tradies that were working on my neighbour's house dashed across the street to render first aid and got bailed up in the middle of the street by Zippa (a pint sized MaltesexCavalier) for their trouble  how embarrassing. 

So close your eyes and visualise it:

Me, heffalump, laying on my side in  the gutter, one bum cheek on top  of the kerb, eye's closed, mentally checking myself over, hands feeling like they'e on fire, fingernail hanging off, one leg numb, dog not letting strange men near his Nana, when one tradie says 'can you move both your legs?'

Of it's own volition  my left leg raises itself and begins waving madly in the air, making random circles while bending and straightening to prove its good health!

OH. MY. ACTUAL. GOD.

DD takes the dog back inside, BM turns up, grabs my arm, and after a few solicitous comments, begins to pull me up.

So I have BM yanking on one arm, two tradies on the other arm, DD at my back, probably choking with laughter, yes, we're that kind of family, one bum cheek on top of the kerb, and they're all pulling... in different directions... 

I ended up balancing on my cheek on the edge of the gutter before I could convince them to let me go!

Shoot.  Me now.




Normally at this point, I would have hobbled back inside and played it up for all I was worth, but the NEW ME  soldiered on.  After all I don't walk on my hands and knees.  I mean I know knees are used  in walking. but it was just a flesh wound... and I was determined that I was gonna pull through.

It was just this, I knew that if I didn't do it then, I wouldn't do it at all, so I JFDI.

I admit to pride in myself for having done it, and I know pride usually comes before the fall... but not this time!



I would've looked a little strange though,
walking around the streets with my hand in the air for no apparent reason.




 PS:  It has gotten me out of doing the dishes for a few days, so it's not all bad.

See?  There is a strawberry in everything.


6 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back for another round!! And blogging! Happy days. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or make aaaaawww sounds reading this post. But ended up giggling. Until I saw you'd lost your fingernail. Then I went aaaawwww.

    Yay you for keeping on walking! Champion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry but that is the funniest thing I have read in ages. I hope you are not in too much pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't laugh at what must surely have been a very...interesting sight, what can you do? The finger hurts more than anything else does, but that's what drugs are for, so it's all good! Typing with one hand and one finger is a challenge though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for not giving up! I probably would have. And thanks for the giggle, you painted a very good picture of the situation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Annie!!! You poor sausage ((gentle hugs to you)) although right about now you're probably wondering why I need to hug you gentle, lest I be hugging your knee and that would just be weird. Seriously mate, are you okay? I must admit your power of words and descriptions as me crying I'm laughing ... With you, not at you!! Oh dear.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, if you hugged me it would be the only one I got! I'm okay though, I've done worse. I raised my mob on the premise of 'if there's no bones sticking out, or if you aren't gushing blood, then you'll live', well there WAS blood, may not have been gushing but it was there, and not an ounce of sympathy did I receive! Shocking, truly shocking. BFF is hopeless too, a) she doesn't like the sight of blood, and b) she falls over laughing every time I hurt my self, which is often... keeps me kind of grounded.

    ReplyDelete