Monday, May 20, 2013

...and this is now.

Some time last week, I can't recall exactly when where or how, I came across the website for the Hunter Valley Marathon, and I checked it out.

I expect you're thinking I must be ill...

I live in the Hunter Valley and thought to myself  'oh, I wonder where about's in the Valley they do that'.  It turns out they do it at one of my favourite places, and it's just up the road from my place - The Hunter Valley Gardens.  If you haven't been there, you really must go, it's just beautiful.  There is a little village inside the entrance gates, with a chapel for weddings, and a lake...

I am ashamed to say I've never actually been inside the gardens themselves, I find it difficult to get past the village shops!  mostly because the walking put me off, there's  25 acres, 10 different gardens and over 8km of walking paths - a little bit too  much walking for my liking.


So imagine my surprise when I began thinking about doing the 5km Winery Wander section of the event.  I was gobsmacked!

Quickly now, sit down before you fall down.

There's 5 different sections, from a full marathon, to the 5km Winery Wander, and even a 2km run/walk for the kids in the safety of the Storybook Garden, so there really is something for everyone.



I would much rather do the 2km Storybook Walk, it's more my speed I think, wandering around, looking at the flowers, playing with the Mad Hatter & Alice, but as that's for kids, I don't think I'd be allowed to do that one.  Bugger.

On Thursday I raised the subject over coffee with BFF and she looked at me like I'd grown another head, mostly because she is very well aware of my distaste for exercise, and my bewilderment at people who insist on using the words 'fun' and 'run' in the same sentence.  Now she's thinking about coming with me, I really hope she does...




By Saturday, I had decided to do it.

Call the ambulance!

Today I told Madam Lash of my plans, she is over the moon about it and immediately began changing my training to work towards getting me ready!

There won't be any running involved, well not from me anyway, so there's no concern about what I'll do with my Blobby Bits, they'll just have a nice day out in the vineyards.

This is, without a doubt, for me, one of - if not the, biggest change in how I think and what I do, ever, and no, I don't give the credit to the 12WBT program or Michelle Bridges, for helping me to make this decision.  but I do acknowledge, the guidance that it has provided, to enable me to make the changes that I  have wrought in myself, to want more from  myself and for  myself.

Because, make no mistake... I  am doing this, I  am doing the work.  Not a celebrity, and certainly not a team of faceless people.  They just provided the tools, and for that I am thankful.


When I uploaded the pics for this post, this one was just there, with all the others...
as if by magic...
it really is a sign...


2 comments:

  1. Oh Annie, I'm so excited that you are doing this. You will love it. The sense of camaraderie of people doing a fun run or walk, it's very addictive. I am going to go out on a limb and say you will love it so much that once finished and you've recovered, you will be scouring the internet for another one in your area. Mark this statement on your calendar my friend!!! :-)

    What a great cause to be doing it for too. I'm so going to love following your progress to this goal. Go you!!!!!!!!!!!

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cause is a serendipitous bonus Carol, my father-in-law has two insidious forms of Leukaemia, and while this can't help him with his illness, it may help others... the 'signs' are everywhere, I'm meant to do this. Madame Lash said the same thing about becoming addicted. lol

    ReplyDelete