Friday, August 02, 2013

What do you hate more...?

Six little words that have made a world of difference came from a complete stranger.

A few months ago I read a blog post from another 12WBT member who was at the gym one day, fairly early I think, when she was approached by another gym member who commented on how much she must love working out & exercising as she was pretty much a permanent fixture there.

Her reply was ' No, I hate exercise and I hate working out, but I hate being fat more!'

Those six words struck a chord, and it got me thinking, do I hate being fat  more  than doing what ever it takes to be fit and healthy?

Or am I willing to use my excuses for the rest of my life?



Even after having done all the pre-season tasks in Round 1  I had decided that I didn't need to do them in Round 2 *rolls eyes*  and having listed all my excuses, and reasons for losing weight, this had never occurred to me.

It's so bloody simple, how did I not think of this myself?

It's the question we should all ask ourselves.


Do you hate being fat more  than you hate
some minor temporary discomfort?


I really dislike getting hot and sweaty, so summer is my least  favourite time of year  except for the part that has Christmas in it, that part's okay,  therefore I also hated exercise, because the inevitable result of any  level of exercise or exertion was to end up what?  That's right!  Hot and sweaty!

Exercise & exertion  regardless of season  has always meant things like having to buy several pots of 3B Cream absolutely brilliant product by the way to stop chafing from occurring or to relieve it, having a constant  cherry red complexion which makes my skin feel like it's on fire for hours at a time, sweat dripping into my eyes and blurring my vision, sweaty smelly hair that has to be kept short, hand towels in hand bags to mop the sweat, only going places that have air con, not going into certain shops because they're too hot... all these things would result from walking about 20 metres so there was no way in hell  I was going to do anything that would make things even more uncomfortable for me.

Every year, pfft! every day  without fail, I would tell myself how much I hated being fat, how much I hated the way I was, and that I was going to change it.  And every year, every day  without fail, I would close myself up in my house with the air con turning the place into a deep freeze, and refuse point blank to go anywhere because it made me too hot and sweaty.  I would be uncomfortable and we can't have that can we?

How the hell did I expect it to get better if I wasn't willing to do anything about it?  Oh I paid for programs, and I drank shakes etc but I didn't actually get of my bum and do  anything, well coz that would make me sweat, wouldn't it...

Apparently I just expected to wake up one morning to find my fat had magically vanished overnight.

So when I read the words 'I hate being fat more'  I knew I had a decision to make.  I had to decide whether I hated being fat more than I hate feeling a little bit of discomfort.



I've discovered that I do.

I  HATE  being fat  MORE  than I hate the temporary discomfort that exercise brings.

To be fat is to be in a state of permanent  discomfort, and I have had enough of it.

So now I make myself uncomfortable on a regular basis - and I love it!



The red face eventually goes away, and sweat can be washed off with a shower, it turns out there's nothing better than sweating your arse off during a training session, and then having a cool shower and putting on clean clothes to feel like you've achieved something,  and the more I train the more kilo's and centimetres I lose, which means that the discomfort that comes with being fat becomes less and less.







In an odd way, I'm okay with being fat now,
because I know  that every day when I wake up,
it's the last time I'll ever be as fat or heavy as I am that day.



4 comments:

  1. Nice Blog! Simple message, written well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post Annie! I'm feeling that way about the Learn2Run program ... I can see the benefits BUT and that's a big BUT the uncomfortableness will not be nice... not sure how I feel about that yet (or why the hell I'm committing to the Learn2Run program)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are terrific, and I do think you get to the point of enjoying the hurt. For instance the backs of my legs are agony right now due to the SSS yesterday, but it's a good hurt, it means it's working. Love your blog post.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true!
    I don't love exercise (though I don't hate it anymore either) I feel you on the red face and the sweaty indignaty. Worst part is the more I exercise the worse my sweating seems to get.
    However, it really is worth it,
    And like you, I hate being fat more than I hate the discomfort.
    What a great post!

    ReplyDelete